A web site is a technical service.
It isn’t a product.
It requires some technical skill.
It can be simple or complex, big or small, busy or idle, pretty or bland, functional or frivolous.
It can be a technical or artistic success and a business failure, or a business success but a technical/artistic disaster.
So - before you start working on a site, ask yourself these questions:
- What am I trying to do with this site?
- Who am I trying reach?
- What do I want to tell these people or allow them to do?
- How can I measure the success of my site?
- How much money do I have?
- How am I going to maintain the site?
- How much do I want to spend maintaining the site?
- How long will this site last?
- How much do I want to spend on hosting?
- Can I host it in my office?
- Do I want to hire a person to run my site or outsource it?
- Will I use email?
- Who will help me when I have problems?
- Are there security issues I should be aware of?
- Do I need to process credit cards?
- Are there laws that must be observed?
- Can I send out newsletters?
There are alot of questions. Get answers from several people. Decide which ones you like best. Listen, and ask more questions.