LAMP = Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP(or Perl,Python)
A good LAMP engineer can use the whole stack to build graceful, cost-effective solutions. It is the synergy of the stack, with a good knowledge of each layer, that makes this skill set valuable.
* Use a link to allow different paths to the same file. That way - a file that is used to deliver more than one page can be maintained from a single point.
* Use Apache rewrite rules, with a PHP/MySQL application to make a small amount of code deliver what appears to be a very large site.
* Choose the best solution, either using PHP system/exec calls or bash scripts to use operating system commands. No sense reinventing the wheel.
* Use PHP5 exception handling, combined with the Apache error log to track errors, or display them on pages gracefully.
* Enjoy the vast collection of excellent open source software available to push the limits