Apache’s mod_autoindex allows you to present polished directory listings with very little effort.
- There are many options. Read the page carefully and test out the different options to find what you like best. HTMLTable is excellent.
- ReadmeName and HeaderName are URIs, not filenames, and they are relative to document root. Their placement in the .conf file should relect that.
- HeaderName can be used to reference related appication CSS files and images. This greatly reduces the maintenance cost of this system by tying it into the existing design. Use style tags in the HEADER.html file for any minor adjustments.
- ReadmeName (the footer) is a good place for a copyright notice.
- To support all the subdirectories under a directory, use a directory tag with a regular expression.
- mod_auth can be used to limit access.
- This approach is good for allowing read-only access to some elements of the filesystem that don’t require robust security.
- Be sure to limit access through this method to only those files you wish to make accessible.